The Vitamix 5000 blender, also known as the Vitamix Super 5000 Total Nutrition Center, is a relatively old model with a clean and simple design. This high-performance blender is well-suited to the average blender-user thanks to its easy-to-use and intuitive design combined with its power, versatility, and durability.
Whether you own a Vitamix 5000, or are looking to purchase one, this guide will answer all your questions.
In this guide, we’ll be going over:
- Vitamix 5000 specifications (price, parts, accessories, features, etc.)
- Vitamix 5000 pros and cons
- Vitamix 5000 reviews (what buyers like/don’t like about it)
- Who should/shouldn’t buy it
- How to use and clean it
- What it can make
- How long it lasts
- Where to buy
Let’s get into it…
Vitamix 5000 Specifications
|Price||Variable. ~$150 used.|
|Parts/Accessories||-64-oz container (BPA-free ABS plastic)|
-Spill-proof two-part vented lid with plug for tamper use and for adding ingredients while blending
-Stainless steel blades
-Blender also works with 32-oz container*
-Wet and dry 64-oz container/blade options*
-Cookbook, Getting Started Guide, Manual*
*Note: the components and accessories that you get with your blender depends entirely on where you are purchasing it from. More on this later, in Where to Buy section.
|Dimensions||20.5 x 7.25 x 8.75 in|
|Warranty||Vitamix blenders usually come with a 5 or 7 year warranty, but this blender can no longer be purchased from Vitamix. (more on this later)|
|How old is the Vitamix 5000?||The Vitamix 5000 was released in 1992, and was the first modern-looking Vitamix machine. It really has aged well though and remains a relevant and competitive blender to this day!|
Vitamix 5000 Pros and Cons
Vitamix 5000 Reviews
After scouring the customer reviews for the Vitamix 5000 on Amazon and across the internet, here is the summary of what people are saying about this blender…
What they like:
- blends anything – ice, fruits, vegetables, grains, beans, nuts
- can be used for anything – making shakes, grinding dry ingredients, grinding coffee
- variable speeds allow for greater versatility
- easy and quick to clean
- product as described
- great for daily use
- great overall performance
- quiet for a blender
- durable and lasts many years
What they don’t like:
- jug can be too big for low cabinets
- not worth the pricetag if you don’t need the blender for anything other than ice, fruits, and vegetables for smoothies
- too expensive for a simple, one-trick model
- not a better blender than you could get elsewhere for cheaper
- this model doesn’t stand out compared to other models
- not useful if you don’t cook or bake
- not a smart investment if you don’t use it much
- not worth the price for what I need it for
Overall, the ratings are very positive. The main downside is the price not being worth it for people who find they don’t need to use the blender for much or very often.
Who Should Buy the Vitamix 5000?
The Vitamix 5000 is the right blender for someone who:
- Wants something reliable, tough, durable, dependable; a blender that they don’t have to worry about.
- Wants a versatile blender to make anything in (not just smoothies or simple drinks).
- Wants a simple and intuitive Vitamix that’s easy to use, without any fuss or fancy features.
- Wants a blender that they will use everyday (not just take out once in a while to blend something).
- Is looking to invest in a long-lasting Vitamix.
The Vitamix 5000 is not the ideal blender for someone who:
- Wants a good blender for smoothies and other drinks, but not much else. (There are plenty of great, reliable and durable cheaper blenders better suited for that purpose.)
- Wants a blender that’s simple but small and easy to store away.
- Doesn’t need to make blends in a powerful blender very often. (In this case, it’s not worth the money for you.)
- Wants a blender with pre-programmed settings for different types of blends. (This Vitamix does not have the smart technology that some newer models have.)
What Can the Vitamix 5000 Make?
- Drinks (smoothies, juices, shakes, nut milks, frozen drinks, etc.)
- Dips and spreads (hummus, salsa, guacamole, etc.)
- Baby food
- Dry blends (ground spices, grains, flour, meal, powder, etc.)
- Nut butters
- Frozen desserts
How to Use the Vitamix 5000
To use the Vitamix 5000 safely and effectively for any kind of blend, these are the general steps to follow:
- Put your ingredients in the blender jug. For optimal blending, add the ingredients in the following order: first liquids, then soft ingredients, then hard/frozen ingredients.
- Secure the lid on the jug and place the jug on the motor base.
- Make sure the speed control dial is at the lowest speed, the high/variable switch is on variable, and the on/off switch is off.
- Flick the on/off switch to on to start the motor.
- Slowly increase the speed using the dial.
- Flick the high/variable switch to high if you want the maximum speed and power.
- While blending, use a tamper through the lid if needed to help push the food into the blades. Add more liquid/ingredients through the lid if needed. Stop to scrape down the sides if needed.
- Once well blended, dial down the speed back to the lowest, flick the on/off switch to off to stop the motor.
- Serve. Rinse and wash jug as soon as possible.
How to clean the Vitamix 5000
Clean the Vitamix 5000 just as you would any other Vitamix – or any other blender for that matter. The jug can be easily washed by hand with soap and water. Make sure no food remains stuck around or under the blades. Be careful when cleaning around the blades by hand.
To make it easier to clean, wash right after using. This will help avoid food sticking and hardening around the difficult-to-access blades.
Another simple and effective (and safe!) method of cleaning the jug and blades is to fill the jug with soapy hot water, seal the lid on, and blend it up for a minute. Then rinse and leave to drain/dry. Again, this works best if done right away.
How Long Does the Vitamix 5000 Last?
The Vitamix 5000 can last for decades. Seriously, many customers of this blender mention that they have used it for years and years without anything breaking down.
All Vitamix blenders boast great durability and quality of their components. Unlike many cheaper blenders and brands out there, Vitamix blenders are of professional quality and do not have weak or flimsy components prone to breakage. Instead, they are made with solid and durable materials that can really take a beating – think about the commercial Vitamix blenders used daily in juice bars and restaurants. Vitamix blenders like the Vitamix 5000 can even handle hot soups or hard ingredients like ice and nuts.
The jug may become cloudy, scratchy, or stained over years of use, but other than that, the blender should hold up in terms of functionality.
Where to Buy the Vitamix 5000
Since this is an older Vitamix model, it can be quite difficult to get your hands on one. Vitamix does not currently produce this model or offer it for purchase on their website.
Instead, your best bet is to keep an eye on Amazon or eBay for re-sellers. You might be able to score a great deal for this solid Vitamix blender. I’ve seen some available for one or two hundred bucks, which really isn’t bad for a Vitamix! The only downside to keep in consideration is the lack of a warranty. Since it is quite an investment, this might be a determining factor in your purchasing decision.
The Vitamix 5000 blender is an oldie but a goodie. This simple model has the power and durability that Vitamix blenders are known and loved for, at a relatively affordable price. Keep your eye out for this blender if you want a versatile and dependable blender that will serve you delicious blends year after year!
I’d love to hear what you think about the Vitamix 5000. Let me know in the comments below!
Thank you so much for this!! I was searching, and wasn’t finding much… This answered all is my questions, and even more!!
So glad it was helpful!
I have a vitamix 5000 but the pitcher is too tall. Which pitcher would be compatible? Thank you very much.
If you want a shorter pitcher, Vitamix sells 32-oz containers that are compatible with the 5000.
Thank you Natasha!
Curious if there is a compatible food processor attachment for this model?
Unfortunately, the Vitamix food processor attachment is only compatible with Ascent series blenders which have a “Self-Detect” base. So not recommended for the 5000.
I have a vita mix 5000 and the picture is leaking at the base. Where would I get this repaired? It is obviously a washer of some sort or gasket.
Your best bet might be to buy a replacement part (washer, gasket, etc.) and disassemble/reassemble the pitcher yourself. It will probably take some trial-and-error to find and fix the source of the leak.
An excellent and in-dept explanation! I broke the container by accident and am looking for a replacement one. Which ones on the market will fit the Vitamix 5000? Will really appreciate your help in this! Many, many thanks!
Thanks for the comment! See suggestion below.
I forgot to mention that I still wish to get a 2L container, not a smaller one. Thank you so much!
I believe Vitamix’s Classic 64-oz container would be the best option for you.