Start your day off on a bright and fruity note with this sweet and refreshing blueberry banana smoothie!
With just a few simple and wholesome ingredients, this smoothie is a classic and so quick and easy to make. The natural sweetness and delicious flavours of the fruits shine through, without the need for any added sugar or sweeteners.
This simple smoothie is delicious as is, but feel free to toss in some of your favourite bonus ingredients, such as leafy greens or nut butter!
Here’s how to make this easy and tasty blueberry banana smoothie…
How to Make a Blueberry Banana Smoothie
Step 1: Gather ingredients
Blueberries – this recipe calls for 1 cup of frozen blueberries. You can also use fresh blueberries, but you’ll then want to use a frozen banana in order to thicken and chill the smoothie a bit.
Banana – if using frozen blueberries, using a fresh banana will create a smoothie with a drinkable consistency; using both frozen blueberries and frozen banana will create a much thicker smoothie, more like a smoothie bowl.
Milk – the liquid base of this smoothie is any milk of your choice. I have found that you don’t need too much liquid for this smoothie, so start with 1/2 cup and add more as needed (if using only frozen fruits, for example). Try out different kinds of milk, like almond milk or coconut milk, which can add a unique touch of flavour to the smoothie.
Yogurt – to add some wonderful creaminess (and protein and probiotics!) to the smoothie, this recipe optionally includes a scoop of yogurt. Greek yogurt is especially nice as it has the thickest consistency which goes really well with this smoothie.
Vanilla extract – this is an optional ingredient, but I find just a splash of vanilla extract adds a lovely touch to this creamy smoothie.
Chia seeds – another optional ingredient. Chia seeds can be added to the blender and blended up with the other ingredients, or they can be mixed into the smoothie after blending. Chia seeds are mostly added for the health benefits, but they also help improve the texture of the smoothie.
And that’s it! Simple yet delicious and wholesome ingredients.
Feel free to experiment and try out adding some bonus ingredients to this blend to add even more nutritional value or to add some complimentary flavours. Plenty of bonus ingredients go really well with this smoothie, such as:
- Leafy greens – since this smoothie is naturally quite sweet from the banana, you can get away with slipping in some leafy greens without even noticing! Spinach is my favourite for this recipe.
- Nuts or nut butter – adding a handful of nuts, or a spoon of nut butter is a great way to boost the protein and fat content of the smoothie, making it more satiating, thick, and tasty! I particularly like almonds/almond butter with this smoothie.
- Citrus – a squeeze of lemon or some orange/orange juice will enhance that berry flavour, and bring some zest and zing to this refreshing smoothie!
Step 2: Blend!
Blend on high for about 30-60 seconds until smooth.
Optionally: stir in chia seeds and let them gel up a bit.
Pour into glasses, and enjoy!
Blueberry Banana Smoothie Benefits
This blueberry banana smoothie is nutrient-dense and contains many immune-supporting components such as antioxidants and fibre.
The main ingredient of this smoothie, blueberries, are the classic example of antioxidant-rich food, and for good reason. Blueberries are high in polyphenolic compounds known as anthocyanins.
Anthocyanins have been found to have powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. They work to prevent harmful oxidation and inflammation in our bodies and cells. They have also been associated with many amazing potential health benefits, especially regarding conditions associated with inflammation, such as obesity and cardiovascular disease.
In addition to their high antioxidant content (as if that wasn’t enough!), blueberries are also packed with fibre, as well as all sorts of vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C, vitamin K, and manganese.
The other fruit in this smoothie, banana, also offers several nutritional benefits, including fibre, vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium, magnesium, and more.
The milk and yogurt in this smoothie add some protein, calcium, and vitamins, as well as some probiotics from the yogurt.
Finally, there are the chia seeds – these little seeds are packed with more nutrients than you’d think. They contain plenty of vitamins and minerals, including B vitamins, calcium, iron, zinc, magnesium, phosphorous, and more. They are also rich in fibre, protein, and healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
With all those antioxidants, fibre, and essential nutrients, this banana blueberry smoothie is bound to give your immune system a boost!
And of course, additional bonus ingredients, such as the ones suggested earlier, can definitely boost the nutritional health benefits of this smoothie even more!
Give this blueberry banana smoothie recipe a try, and let me know how you like it in the comments below!
Blueberry Banana Smoothie
Start your day off on a bright and fruity note with this sweet and refreshing blueberry banana smoothie. This simple smoothie is delicious as is, but feel free to toss in some of your favourite bonus ingredients such as leafy greens or nut butter!
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 banana
- 1 cup milk
- 1 scoop plain, unsweetened yogurt (~1/4 cup)
- Splash of vanilla extract (optional)
- Spoon of chia seeds (optional)
Other optional add-ins:
- Handful of spinach (make it secretly green!)
- Orange or lemon juice (make it zesty!)
- Handful of almonds or a spoon of almond butter (protein!)
- Add all ingredients to a blender (frozen ingredients added last).
- Blend until smooth (about 30-60 seconds).
- Serve and enjoy!
- Try out different kinds of milk, like almond milk or coconut milk, which can add a unique touch of flavour to the smoothie.
- If you use frozen blueberries and frozen banana, this smoothie will turn out very thick, more like a smoothie bowl.